The major building blocks of your online course
Components of the BOPPPS Model
- Bridge-In – Gains learner attention, builds motivation and establishes lesson relevance.
- Outcomes – Specifies learning intention, establishes what the successful learner should think, know or value by the end of the lesson.
- Pre-Assessment – Determine what students already know about the subject matter and what they are interested in.
- Participatory Learning – Allows learners to be actively involved in achieving the outcomes of the lesson, improves understanding and deepens learning.
- Post-Assessment – Determine what the students have learned and if learning outcomes were met.
- Summary – Conclude and wrap up learning experience, provide sense of completion and set stage for next lesson.
You can download the infographic below summarizing the BOPPPS model
Resources for Creating Learning Outcomes
Create measurable learning outcomes
Consult this resource to assure that you are creating learning outcomes (centred around a measurable verb) that will in fact demonstrate the desired achievement.
Bloom's Taxonomy for deeper learning outcomes
A list of measurable verbs adapted from Bloom’s Taxonomy is provided in the second resource below. Consider how your learning outcomes move from simple recall to deeper learning as you progress through the chart to the ‘create’ category.